The holidays are a time for joy, celebration, and spending time with loved ones. However, they can also be a time of stress, anxiety, and overindulgence. As we approach the holiday season, it’s important to take care of our overall health and wellness, both physically and mentally.
One way to do this is to practice positive affirmations. Positive affirmations are simple, positive statements that we repeat to ourselves to boost our self-esteem, confidence, and motivation. They can help us overcome negative thoughts and beliefs and create a more positive mindset.
The Science Behind Positive Affirmations
Social psychologists have been doing research on the self-affirmation theory for more than 40 years. Many people rely on positive affirmations when they’re feeling down, and researchers have found that they can improve an individual’s life in a variety of ways. Here are a few of the benefits of positive affirmations that have been studied and found to have an effect:
- Self-affirmation promotes healthy behavior changes. (Source)
- Positive affirmation was effective in eliminating the deleterious effects of chronic stress on problem-solving performance. (Source)
- Affirmations can make us more likely to dismiss harmful health messages, responding instead with the intention to change for the better. (Source)
- Positive affirmations can deliver long-term benefits by creating a positive feedback loop between the self and an individual’s ability to adapt over time. (Source)
A Holistic Approach to Positive Affirmations
At Survivor Fitness, we’ve seen the transformative power of positive affirmations on overall health and well-being. Many of our participants have used them to thrive on their post-treatment journeys. But positive affirmations are also beneficial for family members and friends seeking to enhance their overall wellness.
We also recognize the importance of a holistic approach to wellness, as the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of our lives are inextricably linked. Research has shown that our emotions have a profound impact on our mental well-being, and these effects can even manifest physically. Incorporating positive affirmations into various aspects of our lives is one more step we can take to support ourselves during difficult times.
Below, we’ve curated a selection of our favorite positive affirmations for health and well-being. You may choose to incorporate one from each category into creating your morning routine or choose a specific affirmation to focus on as you embark on the holiday season to nurture your body, mind, and spirit.
Positive Affirmations for Physical Health
- My physical health and well-being are a journey, not a destination.
- Movement is a celebration of what my body can achieve.
- I love and appreciate my body at every stage.
- My body deserves the best care and attention.
- I am strong, capable, and resilient.
Positive Affirmations for Daily Nutrition
- Every meal is an opportunity to fuel my wellness journey.
- I am conscious of what I eat and drink.
- Healthy eating is a gift I give myself daily.
- I make choices that honor and respect my body.
- I am deserving of the best nutrition.
Positive Affirmation for Mental Wellness
- I deserve breaks, relaxation, and rest.
- I prioritize my mental health because I am worth it.
- Challenges shape me, but they don’t define me.
- Today is a fresh start, a new chance to thrive.
- I am safe and loved.
Positive Affirmations for Emotional Health
- My emotional healing is important, and I allow myself time to process it.
- I am in control of my emotions.
- My heart is open to giving and receiving love.
- I have compassion for my fears. They are just one part of my complex self.
- I choose to see the beauty and strength in myself and others.
Positive Affirmations for Holistic Wellness
- I am committed to my own growth and healing — physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- My self-worth is not dependent on external validation or approval.
- I focus on what I can control in my life and let go of the rest.
- I am confident in my ability to overcome challenges and emerge stronger and wiser.
- I am grateful for all the blessings in my life, big and small.
Live a Wholesome Life
It’s important to remember that positive affirmations are not a magic bullet. But they can be a powerful tool for improving your overall health and well-being, especially during the holiday season.
That’s something Survivor Fitness participants know very well. If you’re looking for more motivational support and inspiring stories from cancer survivors, be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Survivor Fitness works with cancer survivors to help them regain their health and stay motivated on the journey through one-on-one personal training and nutritional support. We walk alongside you to progress your post-treatment recovery, empowering you to take control of your healing journey. Connect with us today to learn more!